Post by Rose's Goats on Apr 2, 2008 14:48:32 GMT -5
My two month old Nubian has diarrhea today. I first noticed it last night. She is on 20 oz of goat milk twice a day and free choice hay, grain, water, and alfalfa cubes. I have her in with an older goat. That goat shows no signs of diarrhea. The baby's diarrhea is gray/green. She was pooping normal little berries before this. She is still eating and acting normal.
What should I give her. I have CD Antitoxin and was wondering how much to give her orally, if that is recommended for the diarrhea. I am going to supplement her milk with some water and Gatorade (mixed very diluted). Any suggestions?
I wouldn't think the gatorade would be the best thing for her little tummy, it has alot of sugars. BUT...if it is all you have, we all do what we have to do...diluted won't do harm, might upset tummy though. I keep generic unflavored pedialyte on hand and use it. It works well for me. Is she wormy? Has she ever been wormed? The antitoxin couldn't hurt one bit, I would give her 5cc orally and some B12 orally. When they get diarrhea they loose those, and whatever the body doesn't use she will just pee out. Has her feed been changed lately? Scour Halt is really good to help their tummy too, but I wonder why she has the poops? Is she running a fever? I believe normal temp is 102-104. Pepto/Kaeopectate will work too, dosage on quick click. Hope it helps
Any time there is green, that always sends up "flashers" to treat for E-Coli. Then with process of elemination go from there. Get a fecal done and "kill" two birds with one stone, check for cocci and worms, to see if either is the problem. I agree with Brandy , gatorade is not the best, too much salt and sodium. Much prefer amino acids or elctrolytes. Always give C&D ANTITOXIN. I much prefer my scour mixture than pepto or kaopectate. I also understand that noone keeps the ingredients around but me. Really good stuff and very safe. Everyone should keep it in the med cabinet!!!!
Last Edit: Apr 2, 2008 20:51:15 GMT -5 by Brandywine
Post by Rose's Goats on Apr 3, 2008 8:16:11 GMT -5
I will make the scour mixture today and give it to her. Along with the CD Antitoxin. Where do I get B12? I have a bottle of B Complex. Can I use some of that? How much?
It might be mycotoxin poisoning from some moldy hay I put down as bedding. Argh! I thought if I left it to air out that it might be okay. I have PenG and Biomycin. Should I use some of those? How much?
Post by Amy (farmmom) on Apr 3, 2008 8:28:49 GMT -5
B12 is prescription from vet only. In a pinch, you can use b complex. For the first dose I would give at least 8-10cc orally. I agree that you should have a fecal done and soon. I have only dealt with cocci once earlier this year, and ended up loosing a young doe.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
you can fort. B12 from jeffers some feed stores and co-ops, can get b-complex too, I looked on the quick click and if you think it might be resp. from the moldy hay it said Nuflor, and sad to say that is a script, or Tylan at 1cc/20lbs for a max of 5 days. Is she congested, runny nose, or running a fever?
Last Edit: Apr 3, 2008 8:48:35 GMT -5 by BrandyJay
oh yeah--anytime they get the trots they loose alot of the b vitamins, so always give it. And what they don't use they will just pee out, it might yellow, so don't get upset, it is just the excess. Thiamine (B1) is a prescription, and my vet had to order me the 500mg strength one, so hopefully it will be in today, gotta call on that. I just looked in the PBS order book and there are B vitamins that are script., but their strenghth is different from the ones you can buy. I wouldn't bother with a script for any other then the Thiamine. I use alot of the Fort. B12, so I buy the big bottle, and it is really pretty cheap.
gray poop could mean worms.... i just wormed my 2 month old doelings with 0.5 cc of valbazen.... i suggest you follow Brandywines advice use her scour mixture.... I took some cinnamon and dilluted it with pedialyte and drenched on of mine.... it was a thick mixture but the cinnamon will kill the ecoli.... i learned that from Brandywine....
I did too, I had a doe who had the splats but wasn't wormy, no fever, not one thing to put my finger on, so I mixed 2 tbsp of cinnamon in 1/4cup of water and some honey to keep it from being so bitter, and she actually liked it, This morning no more splats. I did sprinkle some on her feed this morning and will do it again tonight and tomorrow to and watch her. But there is nothing else to point to, so I tried it rather than getting out the medications. If it works, fantastic. And so far WOO-HOO!! Then again.....we were fishing in her field for catfish with hotdog weenies cut into chunks and soaked in garlic and she did get into them the day before, that might have been why she had the poops. Who knew goats could open Gladware?
Last Edit: Apr 3, 2008 15:39:15 GMT -5 by BrandyJay
If you think it could be from the moldy hay then really tank her up on the scour mixture. It will coat the stomach and intestines. I would also give her a heavy dose of vit. C. I would probably treat for cocci if you can't get a fecal done soon, just to be on the safe side.
Post by Rose's Goats on Apr 4, 2008 6:39:09 GMT -5
For the scour mixture, do I shake it when I use it or strain it or just use the stuff off the top after it settles? I used some last night and she got worse. She gets Pedialyte along with her bottle. I gave the CD today. She's going to vet this afternoon. I'll keep you posted.