We recently got a 6 month old boer who was bottle fed. I believe one of the older goats rammed him and may have dislocated his shoulder. He is hobbling like a dog with a hurt paw. His shoulder looks out compared to the other one. When I move the leg it pops. Anyone know how to put it back in? The doggy vet said just leave it and if it's not better in 2 weeks then call the large animal vet. That seems to long to me. I really can't afford it right now.
I can't personally say what to do to pop his shoulder back in, but I can help with the pain part for him. You can give him 1cc per 10 pounds childrens liquid ibuprofen. Can you call your large animal vet and just ask how to put it back in? I know my vet will describe things over the phone for me to try. Hope someone else gets on here that will know more about the shoulder.
I had a 4 month old kid and the same thing happened. My vet said do not move it as the swelling will cause it to pop in and out typical the swelling goes down by itself and it works out in about two weeks. Is the kid crying? Is it eating and drinking water? The liquid ibuprofen will also reduce the swelling as well for pain-I gave mine 1 cc per 10 pounds then in a couple of hours i gave it some yogart for its tummy. She is doing great and the catch in her get-a-long is all gone.
He is eating and drinking. He's always eating. He doesn't seem to be in pain. Just hobbling. Still following me everywhere. I seperated him from the herd, he isn't liking that much. I will get some motrin, just in case. I just thought 2 weeks seemed so long. I feel better with 2 people saying the same thing. thks
First, I would medicate him or her at a rate of at least 800 mg per hundred pound with ibuprofen. Wait an hour, then I would manipulate the front leg, I assume a front leg, too see if it is in fact dislocated. If you grab at the upper arm, and lightly wiggle it around, the goat should show some uncomfort. Then if so, I would hold the leg in towards the center of the chest just slightly, up off the ground, then press in on the shoulder at the joint and push in while pulling the leg straight out towards the side. Keeping the hoof at the same level. If not sore at the shoulder, I suspect a fracture in the ulna or radius. That means a cast, or splints. Could be only a crack in the bone. That's why the vet said wait 2 weeks. Even without splinting, it will callus and become better. Just keep it penned up for that time. So it will not move around much. Give it a good bed with food and water very close by. Their should be swelling by this time. Should be able to feel down the shoulder to leg to find where the pain is comming from. Could be just stetched ligaments. The later should take care of it the same. I had a sprained ankle from hitting a rock with my foot on a motorcross one time, I would have swore my ankle was in twenty times more pieces. But, It was just sprained. If you don't want to pay for a vet, just feel down the leg from above shoulder to the heel. You should find an area that is slightly out of size with additional response to pain. You may want to do this before any medication. Will give you a greater response. Without an XRAY, it is hard to tell how bad if anything is wrong. Close your eyes and listen, feel, etc. Look for the five signs of inflamation. Heat, Color, Swelling, pain, etc.. LOL Braceman