Post by ashhasgoats on Aug 13, 2009 13:43:23 GMT -5
My doe kidded about 3.5 months ago, and been a great milker and nurser so far.
Today I noticed an abscess on her udder, which I believe is the result of a small sore she previously got from having chapped udders. I made some udder cream for the chapping, but there is definietely secondary infection in the udder now.
The abscess drained slightly after my milking this AM, but seems to be growing red and hot. SHould I treat with Procaine? I cannot find safety information for the use of this in nursing and milking goats.
Post by angelsprite on Aug 13, 2009 23:38:26 GMT -5
Ash, It is very likely you are dealing with a mastitis causing, pyogenic (abscess forming) bacteria. Some of these can be very difficult to treat. Many does develop chronic mastitis and often these abscesses will last for months. It is important that you evaluate her milk for color and texture. If it appears ropey or is pink, you should begin treating her for mastitis. You can try the Today udder infusions, but they are not nearly so effective against the actual abscesses. They will often help the doe if she her udder is swollen and inflamed and the milk can then appear normal, but as long as the abscesses are present, you know that you have not gotten to the root of the problem. In the case of udder abcesses, I would advise you to have a culture and sensitivity test done. You can waste a lot of time and money on trying to cure it, without anything you are doing having the remotest chance of being effective if the organism is one of the more tenacious bacteria. Most of these can be resolved with proper medical diagnosis and treatment, but THAT is what you need. You can start her on Pennicillin G Procain and try the Today udder infusions that are available in the feed store, while waiting on the test results to come back. But hold off on the udder infusions until you can get the sample taken and the culture is in progress. Good luck with her.
Post by ashhasgoats on Aug 14, 2009 21:05:35 GMT -5
The abscess has not gotten bigger, so I lanced it and began treating the udder instead of using a systemic antibiotic. Her milk is looking fine. However, she refused to let the kids nurse. I have them separated at the moment- as I believe the kids are going to be fine without her milk. They have more than tripled thier birthweight, and are nearly the size of the doe now. Unfortunately, there is NO vet who will see goats in my area, none at ALL! It is frusterating, indeed...
Post by knappgoatdairy on Aug 14, 2009 21:15:34 GMT -5
I was informed today be a peson who has been around goats almost all her life 40 years or so that you should never drink or let a kid nurse from that goat untill it is clear and gone. it will spread. this is what i was told and i would love to play it on the save side.